Awards / How to Apply
Artadia Award applications are only available online during specified application periods (see Upcoming Deadlines). During open awards periods, applications can be completed via the Artadia/Submittable website.
Artadia Awards are open to all visual artists living and working throughout one of Artadia’s Award Cities. Individual artists and collaboratives working in all visual media and at any stage in their career are strongly encouraged to apply. Artadia Awardees will be selected through a two-tiered jury process that combines local expertise with outside perspective from leading national and international curators and artists. A preliminary panel of curators and artists evaluates all online submissions and selects five Finalists. Then, a second panel of curators from the Award city conduct studio visits with the Finalists, gaining a broader context for the artists’ work. From the Finalist pool, two artists are selected to receive an unrestricted Artadia Award of $10,000.
The Artadia Awards application process is open to all visual artists who:
– Live and work in designated partner cities (listed below).
– Have resided in the program city for at least two years prior to the application deadline.
– Not currently enrolled in an art-related degree program or long-term residency, nor planning to attend an art-related degree program or long-term residency in the coming year.
– Are not related to Artadia staff or directors in any way.
– Have not received an Artadia (formerly The ArtCouncil Inc.) Award for $10,000 or more in the past.
The Awards are based on merit: defined as a rigorous engagement with a set of ideas embodied in materials, a depth of practice and a clearly articulated and developed voice.
How To Apply:
1. Create an account for our online application with Submittable: artadia.submittable.com/submit. You can log in and out of the application as many times as you wish before the deadline. Please always be sure to save the information you have entered before logging out. You do not have to complete the application in one session; however, once you have submitted your application it is final. Once you submit your application you will receive a receipt within a confirmation email.
2. Organize your application materials consisting of:
– Media: 8 images and 3 minutes of video (if applicable)
– Image Details: Title, year, medium, dimensions for images and/or video submitted
– C.V.: 1600 words or less. An artist’s resume containing exhibition history and bibliography
– Artist Statement (optional): 100 words or less. Describe your work (medium, process, form, content, subject, themes, etc.)
During the first round review panel, images and videos are reviewed one at a time, in succession. Previous jurors have recommended that artists submit work that has been created within the past three years. Though you may submit more than one slide of the same artwork, we recommend that you provide a representative sample of the breadth of your creative work.
– Video submissions are limited to video art, animation, and performance documentation. Feature length commercial films and documentaries, music videos, and commercial music projects are not eligible. Please do not send documentation of sculpture or other works as video. If time-based media is not your primary medium, DO NOT use this option.
– If you choose to upload multiple videos within one file rather than one singular project, please provide timecode markers in your Image Details for each unique clip. For instance, “Video A” begins at 00:00, “Video B” begins at 02:30.
– Within your Image Details, please use practical terms to describe medium. Elaborate specific materials rather than listing “mixed media.” Please be straightforward and clear, the more specific you are, the more a juror will be able to understand about your work.
– Artadia does not accept physical application materials. Please do not send publications, promotional material or any other supporting documentation.
– Collaboratives are welcome to apply within a single application. One person from the collaborative should be listed as the contact person for that application. In the address field, please enter “c/o contact name” before street address. If you are both a member of a collective and an individual artist, you may only apply once per awards cycle. All members of a collaborative team must reside in the corresponding city to be eligible for the Artadia Award.
Artadia operates in cities that have demonstrated a commitment to the arts through the strength of their art schools and institutions, and by the active community involvement of local artists.
Participating cities with active awards programs are currently:
– Greater Atlanta (The 23 eligible counties are: Barrow, Bartow, Butts, Carroll, Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Hall, Henry, Morgan, Newton, Paulding, Pickens, Rockdale, Spalding, and Walton.)
– Chicago, Cook County
– Houston, Harris County
– Los Angeles County
– New York City (The 5 Boroughs are: Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island, and Queens)
– San Francisco Bay Area (The 5 counties are: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, and San Mateo)
Conflict of Interest Policy: Artadia requires jurors to disclose any potential conflicts of interest. If a personal relationship exists between a juror and an applicant that may compromise the ability of the juror to act as a neutral evaluator, the juror is required abstain from voting for that applicant.