Programs / Houston Fellowship
The Houston Artadia Fellowship is a pilot program designed to connect Houston’s diverse immigrant and refugee artists with other artists, each other, and the international art world through close collaborations with local partners, critical discourse, exhibition opportunities, and studio visits with renowned curators and artists to support and cultivate artistic excellence. Individual artists who identify as an immigrant or refugee, working in all visual media, at any stage in their career are strongly encouraged to apply. Fellows are invited to participate in conversations around art practice, sustainability, and the locality of the city’s art scene while simultaneously providing the resources to address needs specific to those communities.
Inaugural Houston Artadia Fellows will receive the following:
- A $2000 unrestricted honorarium
- An introduction to an artist mentor, chosen by Artadia from its pool of Houston-based Artadia Awardees, and the facilitation of a series of meetings catered to the specific needs of each fellow. Meetings will include studio visits, discussion of art work and practices, and introduction to the Houston arts community.
- Presentation of work by fellow and Awardees to the Houston art community, including artists, collectors, dealers, critics, curators and arts professionals.
Please email email@example.com for information on the following application formats:
2. Mail-in application (with CD or Thumbdrive of images)
3. Submit a video
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY:
December 9, 2018
6:00 PM CDT / 7:00 PM EDT
To be eligible to apply for the 2019 Houston Artadia Fellowship, artists must fulfill the following requirements:
- Be an independent artist working in all visual media and at any stage in their career
- Must live within Houston’s Harris County and Contiguous Counties (Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Liberty, Montgomery and Waller)
- Were born outside of the United States – must have arrived in the United States within the last 5-10 years
- Must speak conversational English
- Have a strong interest/ has been pursuing a career as an artist
- Are interested in familiarizing themselves with the Houston art community
- Have not previously received arts funding in the Houston area
- Are NOT currently enrolled in a graduate or undergraduate degree program
Houston Artadia Fellows will be selected through an open application process. Artadia will be working with a number of cultural partners to identify fellows and assist with applications, as well as to provide meeting spaces and exhibition opportunities.
- Fall 2018: Open Application Period
- December 2018: Application Review
- Early January: 4-8 Fellows Selected and Notified
- January to June 2019: Fellowship Program (5-6 meetings)
- May 2019: Culmination Event
Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Houston Artadia Fellowship Application”. We will answer your questions as soon as possible. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
This pilot program is supported by the Houston Endowment.